Sign In

Remember Me

TREE Grants for Student Travel

The application period for TREE grants for the 2021 Fire Congerss is now closed.

Graduate students in the U.S. are invited to apply for a TREE Grant, funded by the Joint Fire Science Program, to support their participation at the 2021 Fire Congress. Students can give a virtual or in-person presentation. In addition to completing the grant application below, students need to submit their presentation proposal prior to the appropriate Call for Proposals deadline.

Travel, Research, and Educational Experience (TREE) Grants are funded by the Joint Fire Science Program and are designed to help graduate students in the United States travel to present at conferences, symposia, and workshops related to wildland fire science and management.

The grants can help fund travel expenses including transportation, lodging, registration fees, and presentation preparation costs. Funds cannot be used for food and incidentals, student stipends, direct research costs, or faculty research/administration costs. International travel is not supported by this grant.

Grants are limited and competitively awarded. Grants are paid after the event as reimbursements for approved receipts, for up to, but not more than, the initial grant award. The maximum amount any student can receive is $1,500. Most grants are lower than this in the range of $250-$750. Please do your best to accurately estimate your expenses so we can support as many students as possible.

You are eligible for this grant if you

  • are a registered graduate student in the U.S. in good academic standing in a field related to wildland fire science, ecology, or management;
  • are presenting your fire-related research in an oral or poster presentation at the Fire Congress; and
  • do not have travel support through another Joint Fire Science Program grant.

How to Apply
Complete the application below. You will need to provide contact and degree information, your CV/resume, an emailed recommendation from your advisor (details on application form).

To update a submitted application, for questions on your grant request, or for more information, contact Annie Oxarart at