We are implementing changes to our planning, purchasing, transportation, and waste practices in an effort to make the 2019 Fire Congress more environmentally and socially responsible. Several of these actions were suggestions by past conference attendees! If you have ideas for sustainable event practices that you would like to see AFE implement, please let us know.
What We Are Doing
- Working with businesses who have a commitment to the environment and communities. We are trying to “go local” when possible.
- Purchasing reusable name badges – you will take it home and win prizes for bringing your name badge to our next event!
- Reducing the number of printed programs. Each attendee will decide on registration if they want to use the mobile app or receive a printed program.
- Having attendees indicate on registration which food events they plan to attend so we have more accurate numbers to avoid food waste.
- Choosing a venue that supports “green” hotel policies: https://www.loewshotels.com/good-neighbor-program.
- Making sure that recycling bins are easily accessible for attendees, registration, and exhibit booths (especially during set-up and break-down).
- Working with exhibitors and vendors so they know how many materials to bring and consider how they pack. We will not accept exhibitor “leftovers” at registration after the event.
- Making sure that each field trip is equipped with a water cooler so participants can refill their bottles.
- Promoting carpooling and ride sharing, especially for the airport to reduce the need for individual trips and rental cars.