Our opening and closing plenaries, presented by an outstanding set of national and international speakers, will focus on the conference theme Fire Vision 20/20: A 20 Year Reflection and Look into the Future. Click here to see plenary speaker bios and abstracts.
Opening Plenary: A 20 Year Reflection on Fire Ecology and Management
- Reed Noss, Provost’s Distinguished Research Professor, Pegasus Professor, and Davis-Shine Professor of Conservation Biology at the University of Central Florida and President of the Florida Institute for Conservation Science.
- Stephen Pyne, Regents Professor, School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University; Fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Jan van Wagtendonk, Research Forester Emeritus, National Park Service, Yosemite NP, California.
- Neil Sugihara, Program Coordinator, Wildland Fire Training and Education Collaborative (WETC), School of Forestry, Northern Arizona University.
- Nate Benson, Fire Ecologist Program Leader, DOI National Park Service.
Closing Plenary: A Look into the Future of Fire Ecology and Management
- David Bengston, Research Forester, Social Scientist, The Strategic Foresight Group, U.S. Forest Service, Northern Research Station.
- Marc Castellnou, Associate Professor. Department of Crop & Forest Science University of Lleida, Spain; Strategic Fire Analyst for the Government of Catalonia’s national fire services.
- Kevin Hiers, Wildland Fire Scientist, Tall Timbers Research Station and Land Conservancy, Florida.
- Leda Kobziar, Director, Master of Natural Resources, University of Idaho, Natural Resources and Society; President, Association for Fire Ecology.
In addition to the opening and closing plenaries, we have a special plenary session planned for Wednesday, November 29 that will feature our Fire AFEx Talks.